Finite Elements

Jose C. Miranda jmiranda at wessex.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 03:34:30 EST 1999

Boris wrote:

> I'm not already working with vtk. As im interested in visualization of
> finite element structures, Iwould like to know, if anybody already made
> good or bad experiences doing this.

	Dear Boris:

	I am a newbie in vtk as I just started to work with it last
weekend. My main interest is to visualize meshes and results for
Boundary Element Analysis. So far I am quite impressed with the work
of the vtk team. In just three days I was visualizing my meshes and
results using Tcl/Tk without any serious difficulties.

	I spend part of that time experimenting a little bit with Tcl
since I am newbie in that department as well. If you have any
experience with Tcl, you'll be running in no time at all.

	The only minor inconvenience that I have found so far, is that
the vtk package does not include quadratic cells (like thin shell
elements in FEM) so you have to do little workarounds like dividing
the cells into four linear ones. I do not have experience with
solid cells as I don't need them.

	By the way, anyone of you dear vtk-ers has developed a quadratic
cell?  If I found some free time I may start to develop one, but I
just want to be sure that I am not going to do something that has
been done already. :o)

jose c.

       _
      (_)      Jose C. Miranda        jmiranda at wessex.ac.uk
     / / ___/  Ashurst Lodge          Work: (44) 238 0293223
    / / /__    Ashurst Southampton    Fax:  (44) 238 0292853
 __/ /\___/    SO40 7AA UK            Home: (44) 238 0293239
/___/          http://www.wessex.ac.uk/~jmiranda

- The legal stuff -
The information transmitted is a personal message only
and does not reflect in any way the views or opinions of
the WIT or its associated organisations.