Q: vtkMultiThreader. Threads. How to use? Example?

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Jun 30 15:23:03 EDT 1999

Hello Audrius,

Work is being done to make the graphics pipeline as thread safe as possible
- this work is still in progress. You still (and probably always will) have
to be fairly careful about which data access methods you use within
multi-threaded portions of vtk since we do not want to take the performance
hit of mutexing all data access.

A fairly simple example of how to use the vtkMultiThreader can be found in
vtkFiniteDifferenceGradientEstimator - the structured points data set is
divided among the available processors. The threader is also used in the
image filter superclass to thread the imaging pipeline, and in the ray
caster to thread the creation of ray casted images.

Lisa Avila
lisa.avila at kitware.com