Hardware clipping planes in VTK

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Jun 29 15:35:27 EDT 1999

Hello David,

Now that XGL and Starbase are gone, this seems like a good addition - at
least until we add some new graphics language that doesn't support hardware
clipping! :-)

Why did you chose to add these changes to vtkPolyDataMapper instead of
vtkDataSetMapper? It would seem that they could be added to
vtkDataSetMapper which would allow for clipping of more than just polydata.
And why did you add vtkImplicitFunctions instead of some other
specification that allows for only planes? The implicit function seems too
general - doesn't OpenGL require simple planes for hardware clipping?

Lisa Avila