compiling VTK 2.3 on Red Hat 6.0

Vamsidhar Juvvigunta vamsidha at merl.com
Tue Jun 29 09:07:51 EDT 1999

> In file included from vtkParse.y:813:
> lex.yy.c:45: initializer element for `yyin' is not constant
> lex.yy.c:45: initializer element for `yyout' is not constant
> make: *** [vtkParse.o] Error 1

 This is somewhat the correct error!. Happened to me too. The flex man
pages on Linux say that yyin and yyout are by default initialized to stdin
and stdout respectively. So this additional assignment on initialization
seems redundant as well as bad for the compile.

  I removed the assignments and just declared the yyin and yyout pointers
and the compilation went well.

 hope this helps.

-vamsi