Crystal eyes!!....almost

Charlie Aspinall aspinall at pte.enel.it
Mon Jun 14 03:46:37 EDT 1999

Dear Jan,

I have finally been able to get the Crystal eyes stereo rendering to
work, but only with the vtk library pure. We (Antonella and I but to be
fair mostly she) discovered that the vtk openGLCamera had to be adapted
so that the XWindows gets initialised. When this is intialised then you
can use the XSGI library and all works beautifully. However thus far it
only works with the releases after the "StereoCapableWindowOn()"
function was added to vtkRenderWindow, ie vtk2.3 nightly.

The problem comes when we try and use it with the Vtk-Qt-Gl widgets. It
seems that vtkRenderWindow::New doesn't happen and so there is no
intialisation of the XWindows and no stereo. We've tried messing around
with the parent of vtkQGLRenderWindow but we get some spectactular
crashes (logs me out of my machine!!). There is, in the Qt library a
call to InitializeGL() which seems to do the right sort of thing but of
course its protected and I don't quite know how to get it called. Any
ideas??

Also could I have a copy of the latest version of vtkQGL??

Thanks,

Charlie