Rendering a StructuredGrid as a solid?

drew at pixar.com drew at pixar.com
Tue Jul 27 15:20:24 EDT 1999

I've been trying to do something simple but don't seem to be
having much luck. I want to display the surface of a StructuredGrid
as a solid (or even a wireframe). When I execute the code below
all I get is a 5x5x5 grid of points. Anyone have any idea what
I'm doing wrong?

Drew
drew at pixar.com

#!/usr/local/bin/vtk

catch {load vtktcl}

# create a window to render into
vtkRenderWindow renWin
vtkRenderer ren1
renWin AddRenderer ren1
vtkRenderWindowInteractor iren
iren SetRenderWindow renWin

set n0 5
set n0m1 [expr $n0 - 1]
vtkFloatPoints points
for {set x 0} {$x < $n0} {incr x} {
    for {set y 0} {$y < $n0} {incr y} {
        for {set z 0} {$z < $n0} {incr z} {
            points InsertNextPoint [expr (1.0/$n0m1) * $x] \
                                   [expr (1.0/$n0m1) * $y] \
                                   [expr (1.0/$n0m1) * $z]
        }
    }
}

#
# The whole enchilada
vtkStructuredGrid grid
    grid SetDimensions $n0 $n0 $n0
    grid SetPoints points

vtkStructuredGridGeometryFilter wholeFilter
    wholeFilter SetInput grid

vtkDataSetMapper wholeMapper
    wholeMapper SetInput [wholeFilter GetOutput]

vtkActor theWhole
    theWhole SetMapper wholeMapper
    [theWhole GetProperty] SetRepresentationToSurface

ren1 AddActor theWhole

# Render an image; since no lights/cameras specified, created automatically
renWin Render;

# Begin mouse interaction
iren Start;