Multiple parts

Daniel G. Downey danmotif at mrco2.carleton.ca
Tue Jul 27 11:38:51 EDT 1999

Hi vtk users,

   I need a file format for which a vtkreader exists that deals with multiple
parts, preferable including partNames.

   I am fairly new with using vtk.  I have solvers which do fluidflow, thermal
and stress analysis, etc on large complex geometries for both structured and
unstructured meshes.  I have been visualizing the results on EnSight but now
want to do some things with vtk.  I am trying to convert some postprocessors
to output geometry and data in a form readable by vtk and am having trouble
dealing with multiple parts.

   I initially tried using the vtk data format but it does not seem to deal well
with more then one part.  There is a connectivity filter that is used in an
example that would work but is very awkward.  I would need to create duplicate
nodes on the boundaries between parts so that the connectivity filter can
separate them and also I have no idea if the filter finds say 30 separate
topological parts, which is which?  Is part 5 the one I want or part 15?

   In previous codes I have used, it was possible to specify in the geometry
file that say, cells 1 to 1000 are part1 and cells 1001 to 50000 are part2 etc.
I could even pre-assign names etc to them.

  I have looked briefly at using another format such as that for PLOT3D. That
would help with some problems but it is my understanding that it only deals
with structured meshes.

  Does anyone else out there in vtkland have a solution for this?  Specifically,
I need a file format for which a vtkreader exists that deals with multiple
parts, preferable including partNames.

  I could always write my own reader code I suppose but I am a bit pressed for
time and was hoping for a ready made solution.

Thanks for any assistance you can give,

Dan Downey

----
 Daniel Downey   Email:  downey at mrco2.carleton.ca
 Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
 Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive,
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1S 5B6
 tel:(613) 520-2600 ext 5649   fax:(613) 520-5715