Fwd: Re: vtk & MacOS

Michael Halle halazar at media.mit.edu
Mon Jul 12 20:42:51 EDT 1999

Metroworks Codewarrior cross compilation on a PC, targetting the MacOS,
does work in principle.  I've build large parts of vtk using this scheme.

The problem is actually porting the OS specific part of OpenGL to the
Mac.  The way the code is structured now, that's a lot of work,
especially because of the fast development of vtk.  I think there
might be better ways to split out the machine-dependent parts of the
OpenGL bindings.  Ideally, I'd like to see almost all the
machine-dependent parts of vtk in a separate set of directories.

I've found that the fastest way to generate an announcement of a
new version of vtk is to start work on porting the existing one.

Michael Halle
mhalle at bwh.harvard.edu