vtkCutter issue

Ben Held ben.held at staarinc.com
Tue Jul 6 10:42:11 EDT 1999

Hello,

I am using the vtkCutter to do a cut plane filter operation on an
vtkUnstructuredGrid.  This generates the proper output (faces), however I
have noticed a couple of things:

1. The output from vtkCutter seems to be triangulated (my vtkUnstructedGrid
representes hex. elements), so when I display in wireframe I get triangles.
 Is there an alternative to this?

2. When I display an entire mesh, I display the edges (using the
vtkFeatureEdges filter) and the nodes (via vtkPolyData->GetPoints()).  I
need to do the same for the output from vtkCutter.  However, if I try to
get the edges and nodes from the output of vtkCutter, I get the edges and
nodes on the "new" triangulation of the data.  I really need to get the
edges and nodes of the original mesh that lie on the cut plane.  I thought
I could address this by passing the the nodes and edges from the original
mesh into another vtkCutter with the same plane definition, however, the
original mesh is of type vtkUnstructuedGrid (vtkDataSet) and the
vtkFeatureEdges and GetPoints() functions only take vtkPolyData as input.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

John
Ben L. Held
Simulation Technology & Applied Research, Inc.
11520 N. Port Washington Rd.
Suite 101 B
Mequon, WI  53092
Phone: (414) 240-0293