Finite Element Analysis

vtk at yifan.net vtk at yifan.net
Wed Dec 8 17:26:20 EST 1999

Hi:

I am a newbie of VTK and FEM, but right now I have to build
a program which can read CT slices (DICOM file), and construct
a 3D model (in VTK) of the bone, then export this 3D model to
a Finite Element Analysis program (e.g. ANSYS).

I use DICOM2 to convert dicom file to raw format, and then
I use vtkVolume16Reader reads the raw data, and then
use vtkMarchingCubes to construct the 3D model.

my question are:

1: VTK can export STL files, but ANSYS can not import STL files,
so if there is a tool can convert STL file to IGES or other
formats?  or if there is a better way to do this?

2: As I mentioned before, I am not familiar with finite element
analysis programs, so if I use vtkMarchingCubes to construct
the 3D model, (assuming I can export this 3D model to finite
element progran, e.g. ANSYS), if the finite element program
can regard this 3D model as a "good" model?

3: so far the result 3D model is not good, cause the original
CT slices are not very clear, especially at the bone connection
area.  so, how can I "clean" the original slices? any graphic
libraries available?

Thank's a looooot!

-Travis