Texture map "flickering"

Ron Inbar rinbar at netvision.net.il
Sat Dec 4 15:56:17 EST 1999

I believe your problem can be solved using mipmaps, but those are not yet
supported by vtk, to the best of my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong,
anyone).  The flickering occurs because when several texels get mapped into
a single pixel, just one (w/o interpolation) or four (with interpolation) of
them are used to color the pixel.  When the textured object moves even
slightly, you different texels get mapped to the same pixel, resulting in
flickering.  Mipmaps are smaller versions of the texture obtained by
repeatedly replacing every four adjacent texels by their average.  During
rendering, the rendering engine decides which mipmap to use depending on the
minification ratio.  Good 3D hardware supports this operation.

So let me take this opportunity to request the developers of vtk to add
support for mipmaps.

Thanks in advance,

Ron