Build Time for Linux Installation (NCR53C8xx)

ytlee ytlee at insync.net
Sat Dec 4 15:01:23 EST 1999

Hello VTK users:

Last week, I posted questions about Linux installation. I asked about the
build time because it took me more than 11 hours to build the libraries.
Some users said it is way too long.

I compared my hardware with theirs:  - my CPU is either faster or as fast as
other users and I have more RAM. I have a S3 Virge video card but I don't
think the video card has any significant effect. I don't know about their
harddisk but mine a 5000 rpm 2G SCSI Seagate with  a generic SCSI-2 (model
801V10B), a 32-bit PCI controller. Hence, the major difference is the
harddisk and the controller.

Before I convert this setup for Linux, it was a NT4 workstation and I
compiled VTK with VC6. I think it took about 2 hours. This controller has
done a very good job and it costs much less than the name brand. So I expect
this setup should do better than the generic IDE.

Well, I was suprised. I took out the controller and hooked an 5000 rpm
Seagate 3G (ST3240) to the motherbroad. Reinstall redhat 5.1 and went thru
the procedure. This time, the build time was about 3.5 hours. Not as fast as
other reported but much better than 11 hours.

My first thought was something wrong with the scsi controller. I put in
another 801V10B controller and I got the same 11 hours. Hence I concluded
the controller is not defected.

I'm not experience in Linux,  I think the driver NCR53C8xx may be the main
reason for bad build time but I'm not sure. Before I try to find a better
driver or drop this controller and go with IDE,  I like to ask those who
have use this controller or other SCSI controller for PC  Linux. Would you
post your build time.BTW, if you have SCSI setup and reasonable build time,
would you post your switch setting.

Thanks a lot.

Lee