Please help: vtk & Solaris

Bryan VanDeVen bryanv at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 2 13:44:11 EST 1999

Christian Igel wrote:

> SunOS foo 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4u sparc

106541-08, eh?  guess I need to grab the new recommended patch bundle...
:)

> >g++ -v
> Reading specs from /opt/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

no problem there.

> >cat Makefile
> CPPFLAGS = -I../common
> LDFLAGS  = -L../lib -R../lib
> LDLIBS = -lVTKGraphics -lVTKImaging -lVTKCommon -lm -lXm -lXext -lXt -lSM -lICE -lX11
> CC = g++
> q:      q.o

Hm.  You really might try looking at the Makefile in
graphics/examplesCxx  It includes both system.make and user.make which
set up quite a few needed build parameters that I do not see present in
your makefile.  In particular, it seems you have not linked in the
OpenGL library.  (available at
http://www.sun.com/software/graphics/OpenGL/ in case you don't have them
installed at all)

> vtkRenderWindow::AddRenderer (this=0x0, ren=0x19e688)
>     at vtkRenderWindow.cxx:723
> 723       this->MakeCurrent();
> (gdb) list

Yah. As you can see, the dereferencing of "this=0x0" is your problem.
The render window was never properly created, which IIRC is indicative
of missing GL libs.

Hope you get it working. VTK works beautifully on an Ultra, (especially
with creator3D or elite 3D) I am sure you will find it pleasing to use!

 Regards,

--
Bryan Van de Ven
Applied Research Labs