[vtk-developers] Fwd: VTK Discourse forum is now available

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Mar 1 10:32:40 EST 2019

I think my biggest concern is references to the old lists, including places
in mailman where you can sign up. For me, a search of "vtk mailing lists"
brings up the mailman user signup list #2 in the rankings:

and #3 in the rankings:
with links to the user, developer, and vtkm lists.

(Fortunately the #1 ranking is the Community Support | VTK page which links
to the forums which is great.)

Also I suspect that there are external courses, presentations, notes, etc.
out there which refer to the mailman list(s). So I suggest that these
mailman-related sign up sites etc are modified with with an informative
redirect to VTK resources especially the forums. Right now you can sign up
and it initially acts like expected..... this might generate some
frustration in an unsuspecting user.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:09 AM Cory Quammen via vtk-developers <
vtk-developers at vtk.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:54 PM Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure retiring id a good idea.
>>
>>  For example stack overflow mirrors the lists.
>>

> I think you mean MarkMail? I don't think Stack Overflow mirrors mailing
> lists.
>

>> The lists are mentioned in many web pages.
>>

> vtk.org/mailing-lists now redirects to vtk.org/community-support, taking
> care of those links. For other links, we can add text to the email list
> signup pages (e.g. https://vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers) directing
> people to Discourse.
>

>> Also, I use LastPass for password manager and its a PIA to login just to
>> give a dimple answer. Especially on my phone.
>>

> You should be able to reply to emails and it will post on Discourse, no
> login required.
>

>> What is the harm in keeping the lists?
>>

> Having more VTK support sites diffuses VTK knowledge and splits the
> community. Having more sites/lists makes it harder for people with
> questions to search for answers in previous posts. I realize that is also
> an argument for not having started the VTK Discourse at all, but I think
> the advantages of Discourse (which we can and have debated) are greater
> than that of the mailing list.
>
> Cory
>

>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019, 1:13 PM Cory Quammen via vtk-developers <
>> vtk-developers at vtk.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,

>>> vtk-developers at vtk.org will be retired at some point this year. Please
>>> post new questions and topics on https://discourse.vtk.org
>>>
>>> Details are available in the forwarded message below.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Cory

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com