[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Transition to Discourse - thoughts from lurker

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Jan 23 13:50:36 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:46 PM Elvis Stansvik
<elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

> Meanwhile I see that discussion is still active on the dev mailing
> list. Shouldn't the VTK developers dogfood and use the Development
> category on Discourse now? :)

Yep, that's the idea for new developer topics. I think it makes sense
for existing discussions to be wrapped up on the mailing list for
archival purposes.

> Sorry, mostly joking. I'm one of the ones who are sad to see the
> mailing lists go, and the greater transition to Discourse, as my life
> is sort of built around my inbox :p I'll grudgingly accept defeat and
> register of course.

You can still use email! Albeit with some of the caveats mentioned in
the discussion leading up to this transition.

- Cory

> Elvis
>
> Den tis 22 jan. 2019 kl 19:28 skrev Andras Lasso <lasso at queensu.ca>:
> >
> > A soft transition worked quite nicely for both Slicer and ITK. For a while, questions sent to the mailing list were still answered there but a users were reminded that further questions should be posted to the forum. Then we stopped responding on the mailing list but asked people to post messages to discourse. Finally, we disabled posting to the list and set an auto-response message that explained that questions should be now posted on the forum. This transition was completed in a few months.
> >

> > It took a couple of months for google to start indexing the forum with high frequency and about a year to reach the same number of registered members as on the old mailing list.
> >

> > Andras

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.