[vtk-developers] vtk_module_autoinit in new module system

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Jan 22 12:15:54 EST 2019

Den tis 22 jan. 2019 16:31Ben Boeckel via vtk-developers <
vtk-developers at vtk.org> skrev:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 14:11:21 -0800, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> > I'm curious why with the new module system we need to add
> > vtk_module_autoinit for the targets in the new system.
> >
> > I never used it in the old system.'
>
> That's because `VTK_DEFINITIONS` had the entries after `find_package`
> based on the passed-in components. The new module system instead prefers
> to attach the required definition (and header file generation) to
> exactly which targets need them.

I don't exactly understand, but I'm by no means a cmake guru, but couldn't
the required -D flags be passed through the target interface definitions of
the targets that VTK exports, then I could get them through just
target_link_libraries(stuff I need)?

Just hoping there's some way of getting rid of the double bookkeeping since
it feels like a step back maintenancewise from a user pov if I have to
remember to do this.

Elvis