[vtk-developers] [ANNOUNCE] New module system landing

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jan 17 13:52:22 EST 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 12:57:49 -0500, Ben Boeckel said:

>> BUILD_TESTING: Build the testing tree
>> VTK_BUILD_TESTING: Build all modules by default
>
>Yeah, the description looks like copy-pasta. It has 3 settings:
>
>  ON: if a module is on, build its tests
>  WANT: if a module is on, try to turn on test dependencies and build
>        tests if those are all available
>  OFF: no module tests
>
>How about "Build module testing directories"?

Sure.

>> Is that last description even right?  Why have both these settings
>> anyway?  Should setting VTK_FORBID_DOWNLOADS to NO force testing to NO
>> also?
>
>I wasn't aware of `VTK_FORBID_DOWNLOADS`. It can be taken into account
>before passing it via `ENABLE_TESTS` to `vtk_module_scan`.

Thanks.

Next, I'm trying to build ITK master against VTK master and get:

 CMake Error at Modules/Bridge/VtkGlue/CMakeLists.txt:38 (vtk_module_config):
   Unknown CMake command "vtk_module_config".

I'm gonna guess this too is related to this 'new module system' stuff, yes?  Does ITK need to change?  Or is VTK missing some backward compatibility something?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com