[vtk-developers] [ANNOUNCE] New module system landing

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jan 17 12:27:33 EST 2019

Ben,

If I create a fresh bin directory and change only VTK_FORBID_DOWNLOADS to NO, then configure and build, I get an error:

-------------------
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/ExternalData.cmake:1121 (message):

  Object
  SHA512=d46218c565aa140b706c01b41bce9179106a55875f669bb1a5c2227efa677e9a8066cd5b28ee2be806ebec93d7ab72040562491a963c3bf1c3606db239097b13
  not found at:

    (No ExternalData_URL_TEMPLATES given)

So I set BUILD_TESTING to off, but that didn't help.

Then I noticed a VTK_BUILD_TESTING, is that new?  Turning it off fixed it.  So it's clearly different from BUILD_TESTING.  The setting description doesn't help:

BUILD_TESTING: Build the testing tree.
VTK_BUILD_TESTING: Build all modules by default

Is that last description even right?  Why have both these settings anyway?  Should setting VTK_FORBID_DOWNLOADS to NO force testing to NO also?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com