[vtk-developers] Building VTK Master (8.90)

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Jan 14 10:25:29 EST 2019

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:04:27 -0500, Dan Lipsa via vtk-developers wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:23 AM Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In summary, I get a build on Ubuntu 18.10 with just the defaults and these
> > changes:
> > VTK_ENABLE_GROUP_QT->WANT
> > VTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingFreeType DEFAULT->NO
> > VTK_WRAP_PYTHON on
> > VTK_PYTHON_VERSION 3
> > VTK_SMP_IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE TBB
> >
> > In VTK/lib there is a python2.7 folder. Given that I built for Python
> > 3.7.1, is this folder name correct?
> >

> I've seen the same behavior. For some reason
> PYTHON_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH
> points to the python2 executable instead of python3.
> A workaround is to change it to point to the correct python and that fixes
> the problem.
> I have not looked into why the variable is set this way.

I think it has to do with `VTK_PYTHON_VERSION` defaulting to 2, finding
that, then when switched to 3, it says "oh, we already have one" and not
re-finding it. I thought the `FindPython2` and `FindPython3` split was
supposed to fix this, but I guess I missed something somewhere. Some
CMake tracing/debugging will be necessary.

--Ben