[vtk-developers] Building VTK Master (8.90)

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 01:22:30 EST 2019

In summary, I get a build on Ubuntu 18.10 with just the defaults and these
changes:
VTK_ENABLE_GROUP_QT->WANT
VTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingFreeType DEFAULT->NO
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON on
VTK_PYTHON_VERSION 3
VTK_SMP_IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE TBB

In VTK/lib there is a python2.7 folder. Given that I built for Python
3.7.1, is this folder name correct?

Of concern is the UUID error and the fact Java wrapping seems to be broken,
see comments below.

With the old version of VTK, I built FreeType ok, Java wrapping worked and
there was no UUID error.

I have local installations of Java 11.0.1, Anaconda Python 3.7.1 and TBB.
    Cmake found the Anaconda Python release library Ok, Java Ok, TBB Ok.
    Set Java source/target versions to 1.9 (The wrapping doesn't know about
version 1.11)

1) Using TBB
   CMake Found libtbb_debug.so, libtbb.so however had to set
libtbb_debug.so.2, libtbb.so.2 instead.

2) FAILED: bin/vtkRenderingFreeTypeCxxTests
    Error:
    usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so: undefined reference to
`uuid_unparse_lower at UUID_1.0'
    /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so: undefined reference to
`uuid_generate at UUID_1.0'

    So I installed the package uuid-dev

    However the same error occurred.

    So I set: VTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingFreeType DEFAULT->NO

3) Java Wrapping (Using Java 11)

    It failed compiling Java classes:
    Lots of errors like this:

/home/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK/Wrapping/Java/src/vtk/rendering/vtkAbstractComponent.java:5:
error: cannot find symbol
    import vtk.vtkAxesActor;
              ^
      symbol:   class vtkAxesActor
      location: package vtk

/home/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK/Wrapping/Java/src/vtk/rendering/vtkAbstractComponent.java:10:
error: cannot find symbol
    import vtk.vtkOrientationMarkerWidget;
              ^
      symbol:   class vtkOrientationMarkerWidget
      location: package vtk

      So I turned off Java Wrapping

4) Build successful.
5) Tests:
    98% tests passed, 15 tests failed out of 801

    Total Test time (real) = 194.78 sec

    The following tests FAILED:
            201 - VTK::IOGeometryPython-Plot3DVectors (Failed)
            301 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-3DMorph (Failed)
            303 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-TestGridWarp3D (Failed)
            304 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-TestGridWarpCubic (Failed)
            305 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-TestGridWarpLinear (Failed)
            306 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-TestGridWarpNearest (Failed)
            307 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-TestImageStencilWithPolydata
(Failed)
            319 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-largeImageGradientBackground
(Failed)
            320 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-largeImageOffset (Failed)
            321 - VTK::FiltersHybridPython-largeImageParallel (Failed)
            383 - VTK::FiltersModelingPython-HyperScalarBar (Failed)
            387 - VTK::FiltersModelingPython-TestBandedContourFilter
(Failed)
            406 - VTK::FiltersModelingPython-extrudeCopyCD (Failed)
            550 -
VTK::CommonComputationalGeometryPython-TestParametricFunctions (Failed)
            551 -
VTK::CommonComputationalGeometryPython-TestMoreParametricFunctions (Failed)
    Errors while running CTest

6) VTK Python all good:

    Python 3.7.1 (default, Dec 14 2018, 19:33:21)
    [GCC 7.3.0] :: Anaconda, Inc. on linux

7) No Qt built so set VTK_ENABLE_GROUP_QT->WANT

Andrew J. P. Maclean