[vtk-developers] CMake fails with build type "None" on Ubuntu 18.04

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Fri Jan 11 16:39:21 EST 2019

Den fre 11 jan. 2019 kl 22:33 skrev Elvis Stansvik
<elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>:

> Den fre 11 jan. 2019 kl 22:30 skrev Elvis Stansvik
> <elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>:

> > > Hmm, not sure. That block has always been active AFAICS. Maybe `eigen`
> > > wasn't being built before?
> >
> > Now following your suggestions with an amended CMake line:
> >
> > [estan at newton VTK-build]$ cmake \
> > > -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/estan/orexplore/VTK-inst \
> > > -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=/home/estan/orexplore/VTK-inst/lib \
> > > -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE_Qt=YES \
> > > -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE_Imaging=YES \
> > > -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE__Views=YES \
> > > -DVTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingFreeTypeFontConfig=YES \
> > > -DVTK_BUILD_TESTING=ON \
> > > -DVTK_USE_EXTERNAL=YES \
> > > -DVTK_MODULE_USE_EXTERNAL_VTK_gl2ps=ON \
> > > -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None \
> > > ../VTK
> > -- The C compiler identification is GNU 7.3.0
> > -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 7.3.0
> > -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
> > -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
> > -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
> > -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
> > -- Detecting C compile features
> > -- Detecting C compile features - done
> > -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
> > -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
> > -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
> > -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
> > -- Detecting CXX compile features
> > -- Detecting CXX compile features - done
> > -- Performing Test HAVE_GCC_ERROR_RETURN_TYPE
> > -- Performing Test HAVE_GCC_ERROR_RETURN_TYPE - Success
> > -- Performing Test Support for 64 bit file systems
> > -- Performing Test Support for 64 bit file systems - Success
> > CMake Error at CMake/vtkModule.cmake:811 (message):
> >   The VTK::IOExportGL2PS module requires the disabled module VTK::IOParallel.
> > Call Stack (most recent call first):
> >   CMakeLists.txt:197 (vtk_module_scan)
> >

> > -- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
> > See also "/home/estan/orexplore/VTK-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
> > [estan at newton VTK-build]$
> >
> > I think I'm now past the trouble with eigen3, due to using the correct
> > VTK_USE_EXTERNAL (so it uses the system eigen), thanks!
> >
> > But how about this error above? How can I find out why it disabled the
> > IOParallel module?
>
> Hm, I realized I accidentally enabled testing when updating the flags.
> When I corrected it to -DVTK_BUILD_TESTING=OFF, the CMake got much
> further. Strange...
>
> Anyway, I'll probably get this working now.

The golden line for me:

cmake \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/estan/orexplore/VTK-inst \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=/home/estan/orexplore/VTK-inst/lib \
    -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE_Qt=YES \
    -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE_Imaging=YES \
    -DVTK_GROUP_ENABLE_Views=YES \
    -DVTK_MODULE_ENABLE_VTK_RenderingFreeTypeFontConfig=YES \
    -DVTK_BUILD_TESTING=OFF \
    -DVTK_USE_EXTERNAL=YES \
    -DVTK_MODULE_USE_EXTERNAL_VTK_gl2ps=OFF \
    -DVTK_MODULE_USE_EXTERNAL_VTK_libharu=OFF \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None \
    ../VTK

I had made a bunch of mistakes earlier. This line worked fine, and
gl2ps and libharu were the only ones I needed to use the internal ones
(due to slightly too old versions in Ubuntu 18.04).

Many thanks Ben.

Elvis