[vtk-developers] Slight behavioral change in WhatModulesVTK.py (new module system)?

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:20:20 EST 2019

There are over 1000 C++ examples. The web page for each example (and
the associated tar file) is generated automatically for each example.
To generate an example-specific components list for each example would
be a challenge. For now, I'd rather modify the templates to include pf
all the modules.

When the entire collection of examples is built, either as a Remote
module or stand-alone, it would be more of a challenge to handle the
1000 examples. I don't think it is worth the effort for what little
would be gained.

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM Elvis Stansvik
<elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

> Den fre 11 jan. 2019 kl 21:21 skrev Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com>:
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 07:13:02 +1100, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> > > I am surprised and amazed this works with the new system.
> >
> > I updated it since it was requested here. It also turned out to be quite
> > helpful for determining real dependencies of things in ParaView and
> > examples.
>
> Maybe some day in the future, with the enhancements you had in mind
> (working with installed VTK et.c.), it could be robust enough to be
> used when generating the CMakeLists.txt for the examples, so they
> could show "best practice" and not linking all of VTK (cf Bill's
> recent thread).
>
> Elvis
>

> > > When I wrote it, it:
> > > 1) Only looked at the header files in your code and, from their name,
> > > worked out the module to use. Ad a consequence of this we had to manually
> > > include e.g. some modules like the OpenGL stuff.
> >
> > That's pretty much true still.
> >
> > > 2) Does detect modules excluded from the wrapping.
> >
> > Not hard now; it's still just a keyword in `vtk.module`. Though it
> > doesn't do so right now.
> >
> > > 3) It was written before external modules were introduced so it may not
> > > properly work with them.
> >
> > It only cares about `vtk.module` files (just like it cared only about
> > `module.cmake` before. If it can find them in the path given, I don't
> > think it should matter too much.
> >
> > > The intent was to provide to the user a guide as to what modules should be
> > > included so they may still have to add extras.
> >
> > Yeah. I imagine the hard-coded if-then extensions were done because of
> > this. Doing `IMPLEMENTABLE`/`IMPLEMENTS` logic should make it work for
> > any module.
> >
> > --Ben

Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com