[vtk-developers] BandedPolyDataContourFilter failes to compile on Ubuntu 14

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Tue Feb 5 10:20:38 EST 2019

Bill,

It would be great if you have a fix, neverthless. A customer noticed the
same issue on Red Hat GCC v4.8.5 20150623. The README says VTK requires gcc
v4.8.3 or newer
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/README.md#requirements>.

Let me know if you would rather I look into a fix for it.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:27 AM Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sean,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to build gcc 8.2 on my Ubuntu
> 14.04 system. Only a little tricky. Took several hours to compile.
>
> I have successfully built VTK HEAD and the VTKExamples. All VTK tests
> passed.
>
> No more bitching from me (about this topic anyway0>
>
> The compiler did expose some new warnings which I'll fix.
>
> Bill
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 8:38 AM Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:37:32 -0500, David Thompson via vtk-developers
> said:
> >
> > >I'm not sure it is a good idea to support old compilers and
> distributions:
> > >
> > >1. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will lose support from Canonical in 3 months. I
> > >would be surprised if what is in git master is released by then. Why
> > >should we support platforms no longer supported by their distributor?
> >
> > Is the compiler so tied to the OS?  Bill, can't you upgrade your
> compiler without updating your whole OS?
> >
> > >2. If we keep forcing workarounds, the next time something breaks, then
> > >*it* will be the only compiler error. That pattern just keeps accruing
> > >technical debt. Ultimately, I believe that technical debt will push
> > >developers away from VTK so I want to avoid it.
> > >
> > >3. Not too long ago, it was common practice for systems in production
> > >use to never get patched (lest the patch break what was working).
> >
> > Not that we (programmers collectively) have solved the problem of
> patches always breaking things that work.  It's still the norm.  :(
> >
> > >However, security issues and increased connectivity prevalent today has
> > >pretty much put a stop to this practice and I think that translates into
> > >a much weaker argument for supporting older systems.
> >
> > I largely agree, but there are exceptions.
> >
> > Perhaps less on linux, but newer versions of macOS often drop support
> for older hardware.  So it's not always easy or cheap to just keep all
> software up-to-date.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Sean
> >

> --
> Unpaid intern in BillsParadise at noware dot com

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​