[vtk-developers] Python Wrapping fails in master build.

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Fri Sep 28 15:20:54 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 09:01:22 -0600, David Gobbi wrote:
> 4) If the output file already exists, then rename it with MoveFile() and
> delete the renamed file.  It should then be possible to call fopen() with
> the proper name.
>
> The hypothesis is that MoveFile() won't cause a sharing violation because
> it has no impact on existing file handles.  This is just a hypothesis,
> though, and my conceptions of how files should work is biased strongly
> towards UNIX-like behavior.

Nope, that's a UNIX-ism :) . Moving a file is locked down just like
deleting an open file is locked down on Windows. UNIX has always had the
"file with this path isn't *the* file" because of hard links and as such
allowed removing deleted files since the name wasn't the thing actually
keeping it alive (that'd be the inode).

--Ben