[vtk-developers] Python Wrapping fails in master build.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:05:01 EDT 2018

Had one wrapping failure in the Debug build:
----------
[398/4943] Python Wrapping - generating vtkMatrix3x3Python.cxx
FAILED: Wrapping/Python/vtkMatrix3x3Python.cxx
cmd.exe /C "cd /D
D:\Users\amaclean\Development\Kitware\build\VTK-Debug\Wrapping\Python &&
D:\Users\amaclean\Development\Kitware\build\VTK-Debug\bin\vtkWrapPython-9.0.exe
@D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Debug/Wrapping/Python/vtkCommonMathPython.Debug.args
-o
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Debug/Wrapping/Python/vtkMatrix3x3Python.cxx
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/src/VTK/Common/Math/vtkMatrix3x3.h"
Error opening output file
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Debug/Wrapping/Python/vtkMatrix3x3Python.cxx
----------
and one in the  Release build:
----------
FAILED: Wrapping/Python/vtkFunctionSetPython.cxx
cmd.exe /C "cd /D
D:\Users\amaclean\Development\Kitware\build\VTK-Release\Wrapping\Python &&
D:\Users\amaclean\Development\Kitware\build\VTK-Release\bin\vtkWrapPython-9.0.exe
@D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Release/Wrapping/Python/vtkCommonMathPython.Release.args
-o
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Release/Wrapping/Python/vtkFunctionSetPython.cxx
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/src/VTK/Common/Math/vtkFunctionSet.h"
Error opening output file
D:/Users/amaclean/Development/Kitware/build/VTK-Release/Wrapping/Python/vtkFunctionSetPython.cxx
----------

A subsequent of ninja fixed these failures.

Let's see what happens over the next few days.

Andrew

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Awesome, I'll try it out now and over the next few days and let you know
> how it goes.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> I've merged a patch that has a minuscule chance of fixing your wrapper
>> issue:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/4697
>> This is a patch to vtkWrapPython that closes the output *Python.cxx file
>> prior to exit (of course, the Windows loader should close all open files on
>> exit automatically, which isn't an excuse for the missing "fclose()" in the
>> code, but it does suggest that this patch will have no net effect).  The
>> patch also fixes an instance where an error could occur without an error
>> message being printed.
>>

>> With regards to incremental builds, there are deficiencies in the
>> dependency tracking for wrappers, and even though I don't think they are
>> related to the build problems that you are seeing, they are worth
>> mentioning:
>>
>> When vtkWrapPython reads a header for wrapping, it must also handle all
>> the #include statements so that it can look for macros and definitions much
>> like a C++ compiler would.  In other words, each file is #included should
>> be a dependency, but most build systems can only handle such dependencies
>> for rules that call the C++ compiler itself, and not for custom commands
>> like vtkWrapPython.
>>
>> There actually are two backend-specific ways to handle such dependencies
>> in cmake:
>> (1) For the "Makefile" generator, cmake can generate the dependencies on
>> the first build but the dependency list becomes out-of-date on subsequent
>> builds.
>> (2) For the "Ninja" generator, and only for very recent versions of
>> cmake, it would be possible to add a customized dependency-generation rule,
>> but I haven't looked into it in much detail (it would be a lot of work to
>> implement, and wouldn't work on any other backends).
>>
>> However, the kinds of incremental build changes that cause wrapper builds
>> to fail are rare, and the build errors that you saw are not indicative of a
>> dependency problem.
>>
>>  - David

> Andrew J. P. Maclean

Andrew J. P. Maclean