[vtk-developers] VTK Python & BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=OFF

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:09:06 EDT 2018

Hi Folks,

I'm using VTK in an embedded Python interpreter. In my case VTK is an
external project dependency, and to configure my library I point to an
externally  installed VTK.  Works great when I compile VTK with
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON, but with this set OFF I can't "import vtk". Some
of the Python modules are not found. Since vtkpython works, I know there
is a way. If I understand correctly I need to have the following before
I initialize the interpreter.

    #include "vtkpythonmodules.h"

    CMakeLoadAllPythonModules();

I'm stuck on the CMake code to locate the header and link dependencies.
how do I locate the include directory of vtkpythonmodules.h? the file is
not installed, which seems to be a problem. Then also how can I access
the list of link libraries needed? These seem to be stored in an
internal variable, but are they exported to the install?

Burlen