[vtk-developers] Added support for std::vector to the wrappers

Todd Martin nztoddler at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 05:16:00 EDT 2018

Hi David

I agree that moving large chunks of data in a buffer is more efficient than iteration, but is that how arrays are marshaled into tuples in VTK? It certainly isn't possible for string/object arrays, since the memory size varies for each item.

I can also see that indexing into a list is more efficient, when a few specific items are needed; however, I don't think a tuple is the right object type for this, if the count is large. If std::array and std::vector are already being used for string lists, I believe that vtkArray and vtkVector types should be introduced that, optionally, expose a method to return a vtkIterator.

Todd Martin, PhD.
Freelance Engineer/Software Architect.