[vtk-developers] New module system preview

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jcfr at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 13:58:56 EST 2018

--------------------
> > * Building any VTK module either externally or along with the VTK
project
> > ?  (e.g this will be useful for creating python wheels)

> I'm not sure the use case is clear to me. How are Python wheels related
to remote modules?

As of today, it is possible to distribute and package part of VTK
independently. this is already done for the VTKOpenVR module. See [1]

[1]
https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/4cb368df22c2db23ed230f743422fcfd78570229/Rendering/OpenVR/CMakeLists.txt#L1-L9

The comment of David "VTK can be built kit-by-kit instead of all at once,
is a logical extension of the multiple package idea" also capture this idea.

>From a user perspective, I see remote module as in "VTK module source
stored outside of VTK source tree" exactly the same way as regular module.
Ideally, a "project" command as well as a "find_package(VTK ... )" with the
expected dependency would be written in every VTK module. The only
exception would be a "VTKCore" module providing the build system
infrastructure.

> I love the ***idea*** of remote modules but sort of hate them in
practice. I'm not sure if there is a way to make them work. Maybe someone
knows a way.
> Right now a change in VTK is as simple as one commit to one repo.

This shouldn't change. The key idea here is that the underlying
build-system should treat them the same way. The only different is that the
source happen to already be available.