[vtk-developers] New module system preview

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:15:32 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:18 PM Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:

> > * Building any VTK module either externally or along with the VTK project
> > ?  (e.g this will be useful for creating python wheels)
>
> I'm not sure the use case is clear to me. How are Python wheels related
> to remote modules?

Package managers like to be able to subdivide VTK into multiple packages.
Being able to modularize the build itself, so that VTK can be built
kit-by-kit
instead of all at once, is a logical extension of the multiple package idea.
If I recall correctly, the CI system for pypi was failing to build VTK due
timeouts (I'm not sure what the workaround was, I suspect that Prabhu
built the wheels manually).

On a related note, we definitely want to be able to build remote modules
against an installed VTK.  Currently my vtk-dicom remote module has two
parallel sets of cmake logic: one for when it builds as a remote module, and
another for when it builds against VTK binaries.  It would be nice if
building
a remote module externally "just worked".

  David