[vtk-developers] VTK 8.2 and deprecation of visual studio 2013

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Nov 1 12:36:31 EDT 2018

Hi folks,

A couple of items for the group.

1. I am going to branch for VTK 8.2 on Monday. We'll do release candidates
so you can expect 8.2.0 to be out in about a month. I will also put out a
VTK 8.1.2 on Monday. This is what is now in the release branch. It has just
a couple of fixes in it over 8.1.1.

2. We are going to deprecate Visual Studio 2013 support in 8.2. The reason
being that we need the more complete C++11 feature set in VS 2015. 8.2 will
still work with VS 2013, you will just get a warning when you configure it
with CMake. At some point after the 8.2 branch, VTK master will no longer
build with 2013.

You feedback on either item is appreciated.

thanks

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer