[vtk-developers] Color and opacity mapping to a slice in VTK

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri May 25 15:30:55 EDT 2018

Hi,

The Tomviz project has had a request to add color and opacity mapping to
slices through vtkImageData. The volume mapper does this quite nicely, and
they would like to apply the same thing to slices which seems reasonable.

This seems like something that may have already been done before in VTK,
has it? I couldn't find it, but in my mind it would extend what we
currently do from RGB to RGBA for a texture in a plane (that is the only
thing we are interested in at least). It is especially useful where you
have a range of values that are effectively background, and we want that to
be fully transparent so that the slice doesn't obscure contours, volume
rendering, atoms, etc from a tomographic reconstruction.

Thanks for any input, if it doesn't exist yet we will look at the best way
of adding it.

Thanks,

Marcus