[vtk-developers] Some vtkMultiVolume questions/issues

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Wed May 9 08:28:49 EDT 2018

Hi Elvis,

Haven’t had a chance to look at vtkMultiVolume in depth yet.
I’ll take a look at it in downtime to see if the issue is relatively simple.

Thanks,
Sankhesh
​

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM Elvis Stansvik <elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>
wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying out the (very cool) vtkMultiVolume in VTK master.
> >
> > Performance is noticeably slower if I render two volumes added to a
> > vtkMultiVolume, than if I render the same as separate volumes in the
> > "traditional" way. Is this to be expected? (note that in this
> > particular test, my two volumes were not intersecting, so the visual
> > result in the two scenarios was exactly the same).
> >
> > I'll need to investigate more, but it seems that I can't set the
> > position of the first volume (the one set to port 0) using
> > SetPosition(..), it has no effect. Setting the position of subsequent
> > volumes (at higher port numbers) seems to work. I believe this was
> > possibly reported by another user on the users list.
>
> Update: When trying with a minimal test case, it seems I'm not able to
> reproduce this particular issue with SetPosition, so I'll have to go
> back to my code to see what I possibly did wrong there.
>
> Elvis
>

> > Again I need to investigate more, but it seems
> > vtkRenderer::ResetCamera() did not quite work correctly when I had a
> > single vtkMultiVolume with a couple of volumes hooked up. It did not
> > center correctly on the two volumes.
> >
> > Just wanted to ask if these were known issues, or if I should report
> > them? If I should report them I'll try to make minimal test cases.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Elvis

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​