[vtk-developers] A bug in vtkPythonAlgorithm

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Sun Jul 29 19:15:28 EDT 2018

Hi all,

vtkPythonAlgorithm is very nice and along with the dataset adapter code is
really very convenient for Python users.

I just found a bug with the vtkPythonAlgorithm.  I haven't had the chance to
look at the error or debug it but thought I'd quickly share the issue.
Basically if any of the required methods raise an exception, you get a segfault
and no error/traceback.  Attached is a simple example based on Berk's really
nice blog post.

I've left one incorrect line of code in the ProcessRequest method to show the
segfault but this error could have been in any of the methods and you'll end up
with a segfault. I've left these commented out.  I tested this with VTK 8.1.1
but not with master.

Thank you!

cheers,

Prabhu