[vtk-developers] Python and the function GetParametricCoords()

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 17:20:30 EST 2018

I was looking at converting Bill's excellent example:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/GeometricObjects/IsoparametricCellsDemo/
into Python but I have run into a problem with respect to
 GetParametricCoords()

It seems to return a void pointer not an expected tuple even though the
example below is a primary cell.

There are no tests in the Python tests for GetParametricCoords() yet it is
wrapped Ok as far as I can see. Does anyone have a solution?

Here is some test code that illustrates the problem:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import vtk

def main():
    xx = vtk.vtkQuadraticEdge()
    print('Is it a primary cell?', xx.IsPrimaryCell())
    # help(vtk.vtkQuadraticEdge.GetBounds)
    # help(vtk.vtkQuadraticEdge.GetParametricCoords)
    # print(dir(vtk.vtkQuadraticEdge))
    pcoords = xx.GetParametricCoords()
    #  Here we expect a tuple of nine floats.
    print('pcoords:', pcoords)
    # GetBounds() works.
    bounds = xx.GetBounds()
    print('bounds:', bounds)