[vtk-developers] VTK HDF5 libraries renamed to now have "_src" suffix? Bug?

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Feb 13 13:01:30 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:32:38 -0500, Sean McBride wrote:
> Afraid I don't really follow, since I don't really know anything about
> the 'module system', etc.  But no matter.  :)  Is the takeaway that
> you cannot restore the old names? :(

There's ongoing work to update the VTK module system to use target usage
requirements rather than variable wrangling for getting include
directories, compile definitions, etc.

I suppose the on-disk names could be restored, but the target names
cannot.

See the branch here for the new module system:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/ben.boeckel/vtk/commits/new-cmake-module

> >How are you extracting the information required for VTK_AUTOINIT bits in
> >the Xcode project? Include paths? Transitive dependencies of what is
> >linked?
>
> I do as in /Examples/GUI/Cocoa.  See PrefixHeader.pch for the
> VTK_MODULE_INIT stuff.

OK, so "manually" :) .

> As you see in that example's Xcode project, the libraries are added to
> the project, and so if their names change, the project needs updating
> too.  (That project doesn't include hdf5 so isn't impacted at least.)
>
> Also: it seems the HDF5 changes didn't mangle all symbol names.  I now
> get link errors about duplicate symbols between ITK and VTK.  I
> suspect the greping of nm output omitted some symbols types, just like
> libTIFF was.  The author probably used something like:

Ah, likely. I'll check it out and redo the greps.

--Ben