[vtk-developers] vtk-8.2.0-rc2 problem building wheels

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Dec 13 11:02:42 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:08 PM Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin <
jcfr at kitware.com> wrote:

> > I'm not seeing a rationale
>
> By ensuring the build system of a VTK/ITK/Slicer... modules is the same if
> it is built inside or outside the "main" application/libraries allows the
> following:
>
> - avoid special case, tribal knowledge, ... : a module layout is consistent
>
> - support for packaging independently some part
>

> @Matt: Could you share your experience within the ITK community ?
>

>> We have seen success in the ITK community by maintaining a robust set of
common functionality in the core repository and enabling extension modules
in other repositories. This provides:

- Flexibility to mature a module in an incremental process.
- More contrained core repository build times and distributed builds of
other modules.
- Enhanced backwards compatibility for the core and rapid changes in the
peripherary.
- Enhanced participation from the huge talent pool in the broader FOSS
ecosystem.
- Control and a sense of ownership on individual module repositories.

If the new module system for VTK improves the extensitibility potential of
modules, it will be a big enhancement.

Ideally, we would have C++XX standard modules and a way to bulid them in
place along with One Package Manager To Rule Them All. Since these are
currently not available, the ability to share and extend VTK code is a good
step. A bonus step forward would allow dependencies between ITK and VTK
modules.

These are all good discussion topics, but to come back to the thread topic,
which is important to massively improve VTK's value by enabling integration
with other Python packages: thanks to Dave for starting a patch. I wonder
we can set a warning / error that BUILD_TESTING has to be disabled
when VTK_ENABLE_VTKPYTHON is disabled, change the patch from a WIP, and
use VTK_ENABLE_VTKPYTHON=OFF in the VTK Python wheel build. In the future,
it would be helpful to have VTK_ENABLE_VTKPYTHON OFF by default and use a
provided Python.

2 cents,
Matt