[vtk-developers] vtk-8.2.0-rc2 problem building wheels

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Dec 6 11:48:06 EST 2018

I think the dependency comes in for the sake of VTK's python tests, as
those call vtkpython.
Prabu can you try this and see if you get a pip worthy build out of it?
https://gitlab.kitware.com/demarle/vtk/commits/WIP-break-wrappings-vtkpythoninterpreter-dependency
Note you must set these two configure flags to get it to compile.
BUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF
VTK_ENABLE_VTKPYTHON:BOOL=OFF
Longer term we should do a clean break by trying to move the bits of
VTKPYTHON that remain in Wrapping/PythonCore to
Utilities/PythonInterpretter and making sure the python tests agree.

Regarding matplotlib, for the moment just leave it off in the wheels. Ben's
point of wrapping everything and the corrolary that VTK's modules should be
atomic (options don't change the library internals) is an important goal
that we won't fix in 8.2. We made strides in VTK 6.0 and will get much
closer in 9.0, hopefully packagers and all consumers of VTK will have a
better time of it after 9.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer