[vtk-developers] Slow resize of vtkContextView (on Win 10)

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Sat Aug 25 07:01:19 EDT 2018

Hi all,

As I was debugging DPI issues on Windows today, I noticed an unrelated thing.

Resizing a vtkContextView (in this case, containing a vtkChartXY) is
very (!) slow.

See the following screen recording where I resize the window:

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pOKuDjT4IwE54xIRQoYni5-A2PUeZtbL

The recording itself makes it look a little worse than it is, but it's
not far off from the actual experience.

This was on Win 10, with VTK 8.1.1, OpenGL 2 backend, Qt 5.11.1. The
vtkContextView was in a QVTKOpenGLWidget.

I know that accomplishing smooth resizing of GL windows is
non-trivial, but should it really be this bad? It makes it impossible
to build Qt/VTK applications that resize smoothly.

Best regards,
Elvis