[vtk-developers] Performance issue regarding vtkOpenGLGlyph3DMapper with large number of vtkDatasets

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Apr 9 11:39:25 EDT 2018

You are using 258 mappers and actors right to go with the 258 datasets?

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:36 AM, David Thompson <david.thompson at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Hi Haocheng,
>
> > I have a use case that I want to glyph several hundreds of vtkDatasets.
> However, the frame rate becomes super slow since vtkOpenGLyph3DMapper would
> call rebuildstructures function for each dataset. With 258 vtkDatasets, it
> takes more than 4 seconds to render one frame and spends 52% of the time
> doing rebuilding stuff(Rebuilding the structure 258 times even though
> nothing new!). I'm thinking to remove Line 515 in /Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLGlyph3DMapper.cxx
> and pass a flag instead to trigger the rebuilding if a new color is
> assigned.
>
> I'm not sure that change would not be enough to guarantee that the
> vtkOpenGLGlyph3DMapper::vtkOpenGLGlyph3DMapperEntry objects are kept up
> to date.
>
> It might be better to understand why the mapper's MTime is being updated
> every render. If we can't use the mapper's MTime, then we should probably
> add a new MTime member to the mapper that gets modified when things that
> *do* matter (like block color changes) occur.
>
>         David

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.