[vtk-developers] Correct packaging of Tcl/Python/Java wrappers

Stefan Bruens stefan.bruens at rwth-aachen.de
Sat Sep 16 19:33:13 EDT 2017

On Donnerstag, 14. September 2017 23:30:12 CEST David Gobbi wrote:
> Hi Sefan,
>
> Yes, the vtkWrap* and vtkParseJava executables are only for development,
> they are not required at runtime.
>
>  - David

Hi David,

thanks so far. I have tried to create a clean split between the different
wrappers, but unfortunately for the devel package, I was not successful:

The VTKConfig.cmake includes VTKTargets.cmake, which has a hard dependency to
*all* created targets, e.g. binaries, libraries, etc.  Even when building a C
programm which only requires only the VTK libraries, but none of the bindings,
this pulls in all bindings and their dependencies.

Are the targets defined in VTKTargets really needed when using prebuilt VTK
libraries?

Kind regards,

Stefan

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Brüns, Stefan <Stefan.Bruens at rwth-aachen.de
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > commonly distributions split VTK into several packages, e.g.:
> >
> > - libvtk (VTK implementation shared libraries)
> > - vtk-python (Python wrappers)
> > - vtk-java (Java wrappers)
> > - vtk-tcl (Tcl wrappers)
> > - vtk-devel (development headers, cmake files)
> >
> > As far as I understand, the vtkWrap{Python,Tcl,Java}{,Init} executables
> > are
> > used to generate the wrappers itself, and can be used to generate wrappers
> > for
> > e.g. derived classes.
> >
> > These executables are no runtime dependency of the wrappers, and as such
> > should be packaged with the development headers, correct?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Stefan

Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019