[vtk-developers] Remove "PythonD" libs to simplify building and packaging.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:57:09 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I'd just like to report that VTK seems to work just fine without the
PythonD libraries.  Stuffing all of the extension classes into the Python
modules themselves simplifies the build, and the only really significant
change is that now each Python module is responsible for loading all of the
Python modules it depends on.

This isn't merged yet (the MR is here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/
vtk/vtk/merge_requests/3075), but I'm hoping to be able to merge it in the
coming weeks.

Any projects that call upon VTK's vtkWrapPython tools will, of course, have
to be modified after this change.  Basically, the PythonD libs must not be
built, and the Python.cxx files must instead go into the Python modules.
For example, here are the changes necessary for ParaView:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/merge_requests/1831/diffs

Hopefully this change will help to simplify building and packaging VTK.

Cheers,
 - David