[vtk-developers] Heads up: libharu is unmaintained

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon May 15 10:07:03 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I was trying out a Git master build today, in preparation for moving
to VTK 8, and noticed that VTK now depends on (and bundles) the
libharu PDF library, for the PDF exporter.

I also happened to notice that it's currently unmaintained. From their
website [1]:

"Looking for a new maintainer!

The project seems to be in more or less good shape (as in `it still
compiles and works`), but it hasn't been actively maintained and/or
developed for a few years and badly needs a new maintainer. If you
think you can do it and have some spare time to spend on it (not too
much), don't hesitate to introduce yourself on the mailing list:

So perhaps it'll resolve itself with that call for help, but just
thought as a heads up, in case you weren't aware and don't want to add
new stuff depending on unmaintained libraries.

Not a big deal really, and I guess the appeal of libharu is that it's
very small. Alternatives like PoDoFo [2] are actively maintained, but
bigger of course.

Cheers,
Elvis

[1] http://libharu.org/