[vtk-developers] Image filter to remap labels to new values

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:30:50 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I'm planning to add a new image filter to VTK, and will name it something
like vtkImageMapThroughLUT.  The operation of this filter will be as
follows:

- It will take, as input, any image that uses an integer scalar type
- The scalars will be mapped though a lookup table to generate the output
image

For the "lookup table" or (LUT), I was planning to use a plain-old
vtkDataArray.  I cannot use vtkLookupTable as the LUT, since vtkLookupTable
can only produce "unsigned char" output and is meant to be used for
generating color data.

My question to the list is as follows: is vtkDataArray the best object to
use for storing such a LUT?

Also, is there already a class in the VTK geometry pipeline that allows
labels to be remapped to new label values via a LUT?

 - David