[vtk-developers] ready to branch for 8.0.0?

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Mar 21 10:10:47 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 09:24:22 -0400, Cory Quammen wrote:
> If we are aspiring toward using semantic versioning [1], now would be
> the time to make such API changes. And document them nicely as well,
> of course.

If we really want to go with semver, it might be good to get ABI
checkers to check MRs:

    https://lvc.github.io/abi-compliance-checker/

I suspect we'll be bumping major versions every release though unless
we're really diligent about it.

Though the ABI is also affected by all the flags you can set in VTK's
build, so there are other issues since we can't just rely on "it looks
OK", but "it looks OK under configuration X".

--Ben