[vtk-developers] NULL versus nullptr

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:00:25 EDT 2017

Hi Bill
   My inclination would be to use nullptr. It is fully supported by all the
compilers we are now using. It has also been around for a long while as
seen in this extract from:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1282295/what-exactly-is-nullptr

>From *nullptr: A Type-safe and Clear-Cut Null Pointer*
<http://www.devx.com/cplus/10MinuteSolution/35167/1954>:

The new C++09 nullptr keyword designates an rvalue constant that serves as
a universal null pointer literal, replacing the buggy and weakly-typed
literal 0 and the infamous NULL macro. nullptr thus puts an end to more
than 30 years of embarrassment, ambiguity, and bugs. The following sections
present the nullptr facility and show how it can remedy the ailments of
NULL and 0.