[vtk-developers] vtkPointInterpolator algorithm?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Mar 1 06:16:59 EST 2017

Check out:
https://blog.kitware.com/point-and-smoothed-particle-hydrodynamics-sph-interpolation-in-vtk/

for an introduction and additional references. Note the difference between
SPH and generalized point interpolation (SPH is a spline interpolation
which is subject to conservation properties).

In general the algorithm is very simple. For each point p to be
interpolated onto, find the neighborhood of points around p (defined by a
radius, number of points, etc) and use these neighboring points to
interpolate onto p. (This operation is carried out in parallel using
vtkSMPTools.) The manner in which the interpolation occurs is a function of
the interpolating kernel. One twist to all of this is that efficiently
finding neighboring points requires some sort of point locator. Typically
vtkStaticPointLocator is used because it is very fast to build and delete,
has modest memory requirements, and builds in parallel.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Joshua Murphy <
Joshua.Murphy at lasp.colorado.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on my dissertation, and I am trying to find a source that
> explains how the vtkPointInterpolator works in 7.1.  Specifically, I would
> like some information on how the SMP version works.  Could someone point me
> to a source that describes the algorithm? Or describe it to me via email?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh Murphy

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com