[vtk-developers] [EXTERNAL] Comparing doubles with floats: precision issues

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Fri Jun 16 17:28:38 EDT 2017

Haven’t seen a great reply, and this was a while ago, but here goes.  This is also all theoretical, from days 20 years ago when I worked on OpenGL drivers.

How about the following:

test = (minval – static_cast<double>fval) & (static_cast<double>fval – maxval)

Now, test will be positive if your case should pass, negative if not.  I’m sure I missed some casts above, but you can see what I am doing.  By And’ing the positive bit on the two floats, you see if result is  positive. So, either
if(test >= 0)
  succeed;
else
  not so much;

Or, if your hardware is faster in integer space (and dirty),
if (<unsigned double>test & 0x800000000k)

I suspect this whole test should run in under 10 clocks...

Be sure to test with different compilers, and especially optimized.

Alan