[vtk-developers] Kits and Python wrapping

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 14:10:51 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the VTK_ENABLE_KITS build
works, but when I tried the build myself, I saw link errors.  This is with
yesterday's master (4c17357).

==
VTK_ENABLE_KITS:BOOL=ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=ON

make vtkWrapping

  "_PyBytes_AsString", referenced from: vtkPythonAlgorithm::PrintSelf
etc.
==

In order to make it compile, I had to explicitly enable the
vtkPythonInterpreter module:

==
Module_vtkPythonInterpreter:BOOL=ON
VTK_ENABLE_KITS:BOOL=ON
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON:BOOL=ON

make vtkWrapping
success!
==

Is there any reason why vtkPythonInterpreter must be enabled for the build
to work?

Also, I'm wondering about the name "vtkWrapping" for the kit.  It seems
that this kit isn't actually for "Wrapping" but rather is meant to include
Python-related modules like vtkFiltersPython.  Maybe the kit should be
called something like "vtkPython" or "vtkPythonSupport"?

Cheers,
 - David