[vtk-developers] VTK updated to CMake 3.3 and C++11

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:11:59 EST 2017

No worries!

Andrew Maclean

On 19 Jan 2017 13:10, "Robert Maynard" <robert.maynard at kitware.com> wrote:

Thanks for spotting this, I won't be able to get a fix in before tomorrow
morning unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2017, at 8:32 PM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com>
wrote:

This change in CMakeLists.txt will cause problems in Visual Studio:
---
if( NOT cxx_nullptr IN_LIST CMAKE_CXX11_COMPILE_FEATURES)
  option(VTK_IGNORE_CXX11_REQUIREMENT OFF)
  if(NOT VTK_IGNORE_CMAKE_CXX11_CHECKS)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "VTK now requires a compiler that supports C++11")
  endif()
endif()
---
because CMAKE_CXX11_COMPILE_FEATURES is always empty for MSVC compilers.

Anyway, if you look at https://msdn.microsoft.com/
en-us/library/hh567368.aspx
nullptr is probably a bad one to test for with microsoft compilers as it
has been supported since VS 2010.

Could I suggest using *CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID* and
*CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION* instead?

For example:
*message(STATUS "Compiler ID/Version: ${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ID}
${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION}")*
WIll give you a line like:
*The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24215.1*
It also works with gcc.

Regards
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean