[vtk-developers] Plan to make CMake 3.3 and C++11 required

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:21:43 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> That is already the case, and I have modernized some classes. You can
> use vtkNew and vtkSmartPointer in class declarations, and we went to
> some effort to ensure they could be forward declared.

Well, then, there's a whole lot of egg on my face.  I guess that since
most of the classes that I maintain predated this, I never noticed that
the newer classes were using smart pointers like this, hence I assumed
that it wasn't possible.  Because in my mind, I just couldn't image that
such an important bit of code hygiene would be possible and at the
same time not be used throughout VTK.

 - David